Help ! Retail theft , first offense under $100 at walmart . How can I get this off my record? Live in Martin County Florida

Asked over 1 year ago - Stuart, FL

I was caught at Walmart for shoplifting. All merchandise was returned , didn't walk pass doors . And there was video surveillance . Bail payed, Its my first offense how can I get this off my record? Court date approaching soon.

1. Michael Adam Haber

Pro

12

2

Answered . If there is both incriminating video and an admission / confession then you may be limited in your options, but you do have options nonetheless. Do yourself a favor and hire a lawyer asap. The possibilities range from attempting to defend the case to entering into a negotiated plea to seeking enrollment into a diversionary program (which is most probably your best bet - if you are eligible for a diversionary program, and if you successfully complete such a program, then the State will dismiss the charge and you can expunge it from your criminal history / record).

While Avvo (and similar sites) are wonderful sources of generic information it is critical to bear in mind that each case, and each Defendant, is /are different, and as every case is also a fluid experience, there is only so much that any lawyer can tell you about your case on-line; in short there is no substitute for an in person face-to-face consultation. Although I practice primarily in Miami-Dade County please feel free to contact my office for a referral or two, or you can search the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers website by locality (please see http://www.facdl.org/index.php/component/civicr... ).

Either way best of luck!

2. Russell J. Ferraro III

Pro

10

Answered . Theft does include attempted theft within it, so the video may be telling with regard to your intent at the time of the alleged theft. Because you never went passed the doors, it may be difficult for the State of Florida to meet their burden of proof, but not impossible if there is other evidence of your intent, including possibly your statements or admissions? These fact patterns are all unique and we handle them on a case by case basis. The Ferraro Law Group practices in Martin County and offers free case evaluations.

3. Majid Vasigh

Pro

9

1

Answered . Wal Mart is the worst, for several reasons. But Michael is right- I would call him if I were you.

4. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

10

1

Answered . Best to get a consultation with an attorney, or at least the public defender. There may be alternatives to a guilty plea that can help you not suffer a conviction such as a civil compromise or pretrial diversion where you can "earn" a dismissal.

5. Rixon Charles Rafter III

10

Answered . Best option is to never allow it in your record. Best shot at that is to hire an attorney. Also, wouldn't hurt in the future to refrain from making statements against interest in writing again....stay offline with your case details.

6. Andrew Michael Bonderud

6

Answered . Although I can't guarantee that you'll be able to keep this off your record, I'm sure that your chances of keeping it off your records are much better if represented by an attorney. If you'd like, I'd be happy to provide a free consultation and review of the facts of your case. I'm available 24/7. Best of luck.

7. James Regan

Pro

3

Answered . Take it to trial! You are presumed innocent until proven guilty. When I was a prosecutor in Martin and Saint Lucie, I tried a case just like the one you describe and the jury walked the person because they did not leave the store.

Go to Trial: Crash the Justice System
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/opinion/sunda...

Good Luck,

JR

James Regan, LL.M*, Esq.
    *Master of Intercultural Human Rights Law
    jreganllm@gmail.com

https://twitter.com/JReganLLM
    https://www.facebook.com/defendme.net (Visit us on Facebook)

Educational purposes answer. | FACDL.org | NACDL.org | Defendme.net | twitter.com/JReganLLM | Non-privileged answer.