Help! My husband of 10 months has abandoned me and is moving across the country next week.

Asked about 1 year ago - Andover, MA

I wanted to keep things simple and file uncontested divorce, but now it doesn't look like I will be able to! I feel like he only married me for a green card and now is running away to hide in LA. What can I do? I can't afford a long legal battle... I just got done paying for the wedding. :-( I want to adopt children in the next year or so... and get him off of all of my retirement/benefits, etc...

1. Philip W. Mason

Pro

7

2

Answered . If you think you can prove that your husband only married you to obtain a green card you may be able to file for an annulment. Otherwise file for a contested divorce. In either case you can motion the court for service for publication and proceed without his involvement. Consult with an attorney to decide which direction is best for you.

2. Joshua N Robbins

Pro

6

1

Answered . I am very sorry you are faced with this.

I would suggest that you file for divorce before his whereabouts become unknown. I would also suggest that you speak with an attorney about seeking ex parte relief knowing that he may be leaving the state it may be prudent / advisable to attach his property / bank accounts if you may be entitled to some relief.

Bottom line: Take some time to meet with an attorney. There are ways to get divorced that don't cost and arm and a leg.

I wish you all the best.

3. Thomas J Callahan

6

1

Answered . I agree with the other answers. Annulment is an option, but there may be proof issues that would hang you up, so just go for the divorce. Divorce is no fault, so you will get it whether he responds or not. I agree that it would be best to have him served with a divorce complaint while you know where he is if you can. Consult an attorney. One of the best on the North Shore near you has answered this question as well.