Hello I received a demand notice to pay $150 due to a shoplifting crime.

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

first time offense and merchandise stolen was only $16 dollars. do I still pay the $150 this establishment is demanding? already went to court date as well.

1. Peter Cameron

2

1

Answered . You may choose to ignore this letter because there is no chance of being sued. However, if you choose to pay them, pay no more that $50 plus the retail value of any merchandise that may have been too damaged for them to re-sell. Do this in writing because they may intimidate you if you talk to them directly. Good luck

2. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

2

Answered . Many people ignore the civil demand letter unless there is a civil court case filed. If you have an attorney, ask that person. Some attorneys advise not to do anything that might constitute and admission.

3. Maria Cavalluzzi

2

Answered . You should consult with an attorney based on the specific facts of your case. Sometimes I advise my clients not to pay the demand. It depends on a number of factors, including whether or not a criminal case has been filed and whether the statute of limitations has passed for the filing of criminal charges.