Hello I received a demand notice to pay $150 due to a shoplifting crime.

first time offense and merchandise stolen was only $16 dollars. do I still pay the $150 this establishment is demanding? already went to court date as well.

Many people ignore the civil demand letter unless there is a civil court case filed. If you have an attorney, ask that person. Some attorneys advise not to do anything that might constitute and admission.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

You may choose to ignore this letter because there is no chance of being sued. However, if you choose to pay them, pay no more that $50 plus the retail value of any merchandise that may have been too damaged for them to re-sell. Do this in writing because they may intimidate you if you talk to them directly. Good luck

You should consult with an attorney based on the specific facts of your case. Sometimes I advise my clients not to pay the demand. It depends on a number of factors, including whether or not a criminal case has been filed and whether the statute of limitations has passed for the filing of criminal charges.