Skip to main content

Hello,I have been paying child support on both my kids since 2005, they still say Im behind in arearr payments.......

Raleigh, NC |

My question is,can they garnish part of my bonus check in N.C.even though I've been paying on time through garnish wages,every month??

Attorney Answers 2

  1. If you are ordered to pay a set amount of money each month on the arrearage, the fact that you get a bonus should not change the amount you are paying monthly. However, if you are being taken back to court to modify support or to modify the arrearage payment, a judge can certainly order that it be taken to pay the arrearage.

  2. Unfortunately, if you have an arrears balance, a bonus check (and any other lump payment like a settlement or a tax refund) can be garnished. If the case is enforced by child support enforcement this is more likely to happen. If it is simply a case where you pay the other party directly, the other party or their counsel will have to file something with the court before they can garnish the check.

Child support topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics