Hello,i am a young girl who is hoping to become a criminal defence lawyer,what grades do i need to do it?what are the rules.

Asked over 1 year ago - England, AR

i really want to find out what subjects i should be taking for my options for my career to work

1. John M. Cromwell

Pro

7

Answered . Try to get the best grades you can. Pursue a liberal arts education. Try to read as much as possible. Take courses that force you to write a lot. Take courses on constitutional law, government, political science. Take acting classes, join a debate club. Not sure what you mean by "rules." The procedure is first, graduate from college, then take the LSATs, then apply to law school.

2. Barry Franklin Poulson

7

Answered . My colleague has advised you as to the rules. Even in high school, you can study the tools of an attorney: reading, writing, and speech. Good colleges want to see that you also excel outside of classs, and respect community service. Mid-highschool is not too early to look at a few colleges to see how they differ. (Your locale comes up on AVVO as "England, AR" which is how the system often interprets England, as in Great Britain. Other than watching Rumpole of the Bailey, I assume any England-specific advice is best obtained in England.) The ABA requires a 4-year degree. Law schools are less specific as to preferred majors, but courses in polysci, literature, logic, grammer, and writing are useful. Yes, follow all the rules, but learn to understand which rules are there merely to oppress - defense attorneys are the last hope of people downtrodden by often arbitrary and sensless laws. The defense attorney stands alone, has no power but pursuasion, and cries out against the culture of vengeance. You are to be congratulated - if you make it.

3. C. C. Abbott

6

Answered . First, do you plan on becing a US attorney of a UK barrister/solicitor? If its the the US option, you should try to do your undergrad work in US as you will have to follow the LSAT, ABA law school then State bar exam route. If it is the latter, you should contact the career teacher at your school.

Personally, I attented Dalhousie Law School and after obtaining an LLB became a barrister in Canada. Several years later moved to US, had to do LSAT, went back to law school for a JD and then passed the FL bar.

Many foreign lawyers study in the US at either non ABA approved law school or for LLM degrees. These options do not permit the sitting for bar exams in most states. It can also limit ability to transfer to other US States.

Having been a criminal attorney (criminal legal aide in Canada and public defender in US) my personal suggestion is to study sociology, psychology, and other areas in human development. I also like the debating and drama thoughts of my colleagues.

God Bless and good luck

4. Frank Mascagni III

5

Answered . I assume you are posting from ENGLAND, the country, and not "ENGLAND, AR" in the USA. You'll need to make good grades, remain arrest free, and take courses that teach you how to think, write and speak. Get into a good college and law school and make good grades, take some seminars about the law, try to get a part time job with a law firm, prosecutors or public defense office, to see what really goes on. Go to court and watch a criminal jury trial. Take the LSAT course and do well on the exam, and then 3 years at law school in the USA. Good luck.