Hello I Am 17 years old i will be turning 18 in January. (female) i work im independent aways have been and i want to move out

Springfield, MA |
Filed under: Juvenile law

Hello I Am 17 years old i will be turning 18 in January. (female)I currently work at Baystate Medical Center at the medical supplies department located in Springfield MA, Ive been working there sence i was 15 thru a school program i was the youngest employee who had a good paying job. i live in springfied massachusetts with my grandmother she has legal custody of me sence i was 5. Im involved in multiple scholarship and school programs. Im Also A Senior in high school. Im engaged to my wonderful boyfriend whos 20 years old. We have been together sence i was 15. We have a wonderful relationship and we support each other very well. My boyfriend is looking for a job but he currently receives goverment help and he has his own apartment. I am very smart and i have always made my own decision. I rarely depend on my grandmother for any help. I want to start living on my own with my boyfriend . Were getting married once i turn 18.I mention it to my grandmother everyday for the past year that i want to move out but still she manages to ignore me. I am very independent and i know i can manage to live on my own . I was wondering what i have to do and who i should talk to so i can move out and i can show her that she shouldnt be worried about anything. So far i have sat down and talk to her about the pros and cons. Im a house girl , i dont hang aroung with friends or im not or ever have been involved in gangs or any type of drugs or have ever been. For my age im very well spoken and organized. Shes worried that if i move out i will become pregnant but i actually drink birth control and use protection until im ready enough for a child after im done with school and i have a good and more better carrier going for my self . I need suggestion and any information i will take. Thank you

You can move out with fuss on your 18th birthday. I do not see how your boyfriend can have his own apartment if he is on welfare. Perhaps the government provides one for him? You could start the emancipation process, but would be hard pressed to finish before you turn 18. But, I see no mention that YOU have a job. You would have to be self-supporting, not living off welfare. Maybe it would be best to continue working on your studies. Your boyfriend is old enough to join the Navy. That would get him off welfare. Best of luck to you.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

Barry Franklin Poulson

Barry Franklin Poulson

augh, "without fuss" Sorry.

hes on welfare due to disability problems. He cant join the navy and i would recomend anything from the miitary to anyone. Also welfare and his dissability check help for an apartment.

Barry Franklin Poulson

Barry Franklin Poulson

Ah, disability is a different matter. OK, then to remedy your situation as to emancipation, you need to have a job and be able to show you can suport yourself. Or, wait until you turn 18. One more semester of good grades is important. Harder to do that with a job, but we call do/did it. If you have a problem with the military, you must have a problem with the liberty that they defend with their lives.

Here is a link to information regarding emancipation of minors in Massachusetts: http://www.masslegalhelp.org/children-and-families/emancipation Most judges will not grant a minor emancipated status. Also, if a judge is not convinced that emancipation is in a minor's best interests and their story sounds like there may be abuse, neglect, or abandonment, the judge may ask the the Department of Children and Families or probation to investigate.

None of the information or materials posted above is intended to constitute legal advice. Viewing this and any response to a question does not constitute an attorney client relationship. Local counsel should always be consulted before contemplating or taking any legal action. Any reply given to any question is general in nature and should not be undertaken without the express advice of a retained attorney of your choosing. Attorney is licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Most responses are based on Massachusetts law and or any other response is intended to be only an educated response, and not the legal opinion of the author. Any response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The person asking the question should independently verify the accuracy of any response.

Juvenile law topics