Hello fellow lawyers: Medicaid or Obamacare

Asked 10 months ago - Duluth, GA

I am a sponsor for my wife to adjust her permanent status.However,my dad is a household member and I guess my sponsor as well, since I am unemployed at the moment.We have a small child in addition to 3 adults.My dad and our child has insurance.But my wife and I dont have a coverage.
My question is: Do I need to apply for medicaid or obamacare ? The reason why I ask this ,is that I do not want to hurt my wife's status by getting medicaid coverage for myself ! I'm correct, please advise?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . Whatever the choice, it would not make your question into immigration one.

2. Stephen D. Berman

4

Answered . Either way, if your income is insufficient, you will need a joint sponsor for the affidavit of support. The issue is whether your wife is likely to become a public charge, and not whether you are a public charge. If you permanent live off of needs based, public benefits, you are a public charge.

3. Karen-Lee Pollak

4

Answered . Regardless if you do not earn sufficient income you will need a joint sponsor