Hello everyone, I'm 22 yrs old with a college education and clean record;today I was charge with petit larceny. I feel terrible

Asked 12 months ago - Binghamton, NY

I live in upstate New York and the items I stole were under the value of 50 dollars. This is my first offense and I cooperated with the police in every way possible. She knew I wasn’t a bad person and just made a mistake, and I feel terrible. I was not arrested but I have a court appearance. I can’t afford to get this on my record because I am job searching.

I am unsure of NY state law but is there a way for me not to get convicted without a lawyer? I really can’t afford one. This was a terrible choice and I feel nothing but regret but of course, I can only blame myself. I plan to plead guilty and hope for a dismissal after six months but I dont know how things will end...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . You need a lawyer. If you are indigent the court will assign you a public defender.

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

3

Answered . Having a lawyer will help you. If you qualify, then court may assign you a free lawyer. If you do not qualify, then hire one.

3. Howard A. Schwartz

3

Answered . There should be no reason to have a record based on this one transgression. Make sure you appear in court on the date your received. If you do not have an attorney, the court will most likely appoint one for you. It is possible that you may receive an offer of an ACOD with community service. ACOD stands for adjournment in contemplation of dismissal and it means the case would be dismissed and sealed within six months of it being granted. Good luck.

4. Waynice A. Green

3

Answered . If you plead guilty, why would the case be dismissed? If you plead you will be convicted. If you cannot afford an attorney, you can be assigned a public defender. Good Luck.