Hello and thanks for answering my question. I work for a US company, but would like to move to my country of birth, Colombia.

Asked over 1 year ago - Tampa, FL

I will be asking my company to allow me to work from home in Colombia. My company is all virtual anyway and I do not see them denying the request unless it is too difficult for them. Could you tell me what implications this would have for me or my company? Any special procedures? I am a naturalized citizen of the US and will be moving with my American husband and child.

Thanks for the quick response. As a quick follow on, would this mean that my company should not care where I reside as it will not affect them other than my physical location and my personal tax situation?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

19

Answered . You are an American citizen so you can work anywhere you wish.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

10

1

Answered . As a USC you can live and work in any country you see fit. It will not have any effect on your US citizenship.

For US income tax implications while working and earning abroad, you'll need to co tact a CPA or tax attorney.

3. Calvin T. Sun

8

Answered . Agree with Mr. behar.

4. Todd Matthew Heine

4

Answered . Working from another country does add some significant considerations for a US employer. I will focus on the immigration, corporate, tax, and employment law issues. Other issues will likely apply as well.

- Immigration issues would include whether or not you have proper status (e.g., work permit, residence, or citizenship) to work in the target country.
    - Corporate issues would include whether the target country requires a local employer of record. This could require a corporate entity or a personnel company.
    - Next follows the tax issues. The employer would certainly need to consider payroll and corporate tax issues. While this could provide some tax efficiencies, an HR manager or domestic-trained CFO would probably get nervous.
    - Last but not least, an employer would need to consider local employment laws. This is an admittedly broad subject area, but the employer will likely be subject to local employment laws, which can add expense, risk, and complications. That said, our clients navigate these issues on a daily basis.

So, I hope this short bit of feedback gives you a better understanding of the issues that your employer will face. We would be glad to discuss further with you and your employer.

5. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

2

Answered . Your naturalization or citizenship will not change. Working from Colombia may have other implications that are relevant for your employer/company. The legal repercussions are mainly in Colombia and some in the US. However, your employer needs to hire an international firm with links in Colombia. Our firm has the possibility to reach colleagues in Colombia. Good luck.