Hello, I run a comedy entertainment website and I need privacy policy advice.

Lubbock, TX |
Filed under: Entertainment law

I run a comedy entertainment website that deals with a lot of exclusive comic and artiste content, from my privacy policy research, it's not something I can draft on my own, I need advice on who to talk to and what to include in the privacy policy statement that will be tailored to my website; www.laffportal.com.

Regards,
Mayowa Balogun

It sounds like you are conflating the terms of use/service and the privacy policy. They will cover different things and the PP main objective is to explain how certain person information collected from users of the site is handled. Further, and in some instances, the PP may be covered under a compliance regime, e.g., HIPAA, COPAA, etc.

I would certainly agree that getting proper legal help is the smartest way to do this and should not cost you a prohibitive sum to accomplish.

The lawyers here are not suppose to solicit their services directly, but all of us are open to being contacted of course.

You can use Avvo to help locate a lawyer and I suggest that you call around to several and get some insights and a sense for the proper needed budget then pick the best fit to assist you. I will link you to a brief guide on implementing web site terms online that you may find helpful.

Best regards,
Frank
Natoli-Lapin, LLC

DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed with the law firm of Natoli-Lapin, LLC on the basis of this posting.

Whether you run the site to generate income or not, you really need to learn the legal and procedural ins and outs of publishing material that other people create on the internet for all the world to see. Buy and read a few of the books linked-to below and then speak with a Texas-licensed intellectual property attorney. Good luck.

The above response is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.

The first thing you need to do is talk to a local attorney or one in Texas who handles these types of issues. You may have better luck in Dallas, Houston or Austin, than Lubbock.

Best of luck,

Shane M. Boasberg

This email (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§2510-2521 and is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. This email (including attachments) is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and delete this email from your system

Having received free suggestions are you going to ban all jokes about attorneys and sharks in return? Save your local lawyer!!

DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. THIS IS GENERAL EDUCATIONAL INFORMATION ONLY AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS ACTUAL LEGAL ADVICE. FOR LEGAL REPRESENTATION OR A CONSULTATION, PLEASE CONTACT OUR FIRM DIRECTLY. USE A GOOGLE SEARCH. WE CAN MEET NEAR YOU IF NEEDED AND YOU ARE LOCAL-- EVENINGS & WEEKENDS MEETINGS ARE OK! OR JUST CLICK ON MY NAME TO GET MY WEBSITE VIA THE BUTTON ON MY PROFILE. Mark my answer as BEST or HELPFUL if it is!!

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

Funny. For a joke webiste, you wouldn't wank a joke of a privacy policy?

Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Daniel Gary Rosenthal

I wouldn't "wank" a joke of anything. I prefer privacy for my wanks.

As a Texas-licensed IP attorney, I would agree that a privacy policy is something you should have a lawyer handle. You likely need help with permissions and protection for the exclusive comic and artistic content. For starters you might call up the University of Texas (at Austin) Law School and ask for one of their Intellectual Property Law professors and see what advice you can get on your specific needs and also get a recommendation as to what Texas lawyer or firm to use. Texas Tech Law School has only limited IP and Internet law teaching skill sets at present.

If you want a current top notch guide on the basic fundamentals of Privacy law, see this book
http://www.amazon.com/Privacy-Fundamentals-Second-Paul-Schwartz/dp/0988552523/ref=la_B001IGLWC0_sp-atf_title_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383081456&sr=1-1

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

If you want the strongest possible policy, you should have an attorney draft it for you. Even if you seek outside help, an attorney is going to have a better grasp of the overall laws and more experience with having drafted them in the past. You're the comedy expert, he's the legal expert. You can find local attorneys on Avvo.com, and many attorneys handle transactional/drafting matters like this remotely over the internet. Best of luck.

I focus my practice on (video) gaming industry, casino gambling, and complex internet law issues, electronic free speech, entertainment law, copyright and trademark law, and computer fraud. I primarily represent game developers and founders of emergent internet technologies. The author is a Maryland attorney; however no answer given on Avvo is intended as legal advice or intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Entertainment law topics