Hello, I run a comedy entertainment website and I need privacy policy advice.

Asked about 1 year ago - Lubbock, TX

I run a comedy entertainment website that deals with a lot of exclusive comic and artiste content, from my privacy policy research, it's not something I can draft on my own, I need advice on who to talk to and what to include in the privacy policy statement that will be tailored to my website; www.laffportal.com.

Regards,
Mayowa Balogun

1. Frank A. Natoli

Pro

4

1

Answered . It sounds like you are conflating the terms of use/service and the privacy policy. They will cover different things and the PP main objective is to explain how certain person information collected from users of the site is handled. Further, and in some instances, the PP may be covered under a compliance regime, e.g., HIPAA, COPAA, etc.

I would certainly agree that getting proper legal help is the smartest way to do this and should not cost you a prohibitive sum to accomplish.

The lawyers here are not suppose to solicit their services directly, but all of us are open to being contacted of course.

You can use Avvo to help locate a lawyer and I suggest that you call around to several and get some insights and a sense for the proper needed budget then pick the best fit to assist you. I will link you to a brief guide on implementing web site terms online that you may find helpful.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC

2. Edward James Kazaleh

2

Answered . Having received free suggestions are you going to ban all jokes about attorneys and sharks in return? Save your local lawyer!!

3. Shane Michael Boasberg

Pro

1

Answered . The first thing you need to do is talk to a local attorney or one in Texas who handles these types of issues. You may have better luck in Dallas, Houston or Austin, than Lubbock.

Best of luck,

Shane M. Boasberg

4. Daniel Nathan Ballard

2

1

Answered . Whether you run the site to generate income or not, you really need to learn the legal and procedural ins and outs of publishing material that other people create on the internet for all the world to see. Buy and read a few of the books linked-to below and then speak with a Texas-licensed intellectual property attorney. Good luck.

5. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

2

Answered . As a Texas-licensed IP attorney, I would agree that a privacy policy is something you should have a lawyer handle. You likely need help with permissions and protection for the exclusive comic and artistic content. For starters you might call up the University of Texas (at Austin) Law School and ask for one of their Intellectual Property Law professors and see what advice you can get on your specific needs and also get a recommendation as to what Texas lawyer or firm to use. Texas Tech Law School has only limited IP and Internet law teaching skill sets at present.

If you want a current top notch guide on the basic fundamentals of Privacy law, see this book
    http://www.amazon.com/Privacy-Fundamentals-Seco...

6. Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Pro

1

Answered . If you want the strongest possible policy, you should have an attorney draft it for you. Even if you seek outside help, an attorney is going to have a better grasp of the overall laws and more experience with having drafted them in the past. You're the comedy expert, he's the legal expert. You can find local attorneys on Avvo.com, and many attorneys handle transactional/drafting matters like this remotely over the internet. Best of luck.