Hello, I'm trying to apply for a refugee travel document (i-131) and I have a question.

Houston, TX |

In part6 of the application question number 1 says : "Country from which you are a refugee or asylee".
I'm an iraqi citizen who has applied for refugee OUTSIDE iraq in jordan.

Could someone explain the question to me.
Meaning, do I write Iraq or Jordan as the answer in the application?
thank you in advance.

I left iraq in 2007 and lived in jordan and in jordan I applied for refugee to the US. I'm currently in the US and have a white card and I have a family emergency in Jordan so I need to return there for a month.

I assume you sought refugee status, because you feared persecution if forced to return to Iraq. If so, you received refugee status from Iraq.

Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (866) 456-­8654, wendy@myatorneyusa.com, www.myattorneyusa.com. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.

I left iraq in 2007 and lived in jordan and in jordan I applied for refugee to the US. I'm currently in the US and have a white card and I have a family emergency in Jordan so I need to return there for a month. So what I understood from your answer is that I need to write "iraq" as the appropriate answer in the "Country from which you are a refugee or asylee" question. Im I correct? Thank you very much for your replay.

Kara Lien Roberts

Kara Lien Roberts

That is what she is telling you. Think of the question this way: From what country did you flee because of the persecution you faced?

I agree with my colleague. The country from which you sought refuge from is Iraq.

The Law Office of Andrew Chung, PLLC. (832) 409 0117. Andrew@Chung-Law.com . The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Which country did you seek refuge from?

Simone Coley, Bachand & Bachand; 855-422-2426. 189 State Street, Suite 100, Bridgeport, CT 06604.