Hello: I'm going thru a divorce. My question is regarding spousal and child support.

Asked over 1 year ago - Van Nuys, CA

My x-hsbnd makes $2900/mo. He told Judge he sends money to his country for his parents take-care. I m jobless and live with my brother. He pays for most of our(me + my kid) expenses. Court ordered my x to pay child support $300/month, but court never ordered to pay him spousal support. On the last hearing (jan 11) Judge said since I have support from my brother, but he (my x) doesn't have any support and have to send money to take care of his parents, the spousal support ordered is $ 100 /month. Actually his parents own apartments cmplex and the money he sends goes to his saving account there.
What can I do now to get a fair judgment? He came to USA and got papers through me (husband of US citizen). After he came he totally changed, started domestic violence and I can't but do divorce.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

3

8

Answered . I am sorry that you are going through this, your argument should be that his family here comes first. Chat with a local CA attny, you will most likely get the support increased. He should not be able to argue that he send money home, it is not a good argument. take care.

2. Donald Frederick Conviser

1

Answered . You would best retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to advise and represent you. It sounds like you didn't do a sufficient job representing yourself, or in the alternative, that you were in front of a brand new judicial officer who didn't know (and needs to be educated by your lawyer about) the law.