Skip to main content

Hello, I'm completing the N-600 for my biological son. I need help filling out part 4 and 5 please.

Worcester, MA |

On part 4 I checked of the box that says Acquisition after birth after birth through naturalization of alien parents, under that there is another box that says naturalization and asks the date and place.Should I write the date that I (mother) became a citizen or the issue date?. Also, on part 5 requires to provide dates that the us citizen mother resided in the us from the child's birth until filling this form. I was out of the U.S. when my son was born. He was born 03/2002 but I was abroad since 2000 and came back 12/2003.
Thank you.

Attorney Answers 3



The questions and instructions are supposed to be clear. Just answer the questions and provide the dates in question. It is all straightforward.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


More facts are needed to answer your questions becuase it is unclear as to how your son is eligible for derivative citizenship. The N-600 can be used to obtain a certificate under multiple provisions of the law. For example, if your son is a lawful permanent resident and has been living in your custody while under the age of 18, he automatically acquired U.S. citizenship.

There is much more to immigration then just filing out forms.Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review the case and advise you how best to proceed.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


More facts are need in order to answer your question.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

14 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics