Skip to main content

Hello, I have two short questions regarding immigration and taxes Thanks in advance.

Los Angeles, CA |


1. I wanted to know when filing taxes should I have used my ITIN number which obviously is due to having a SSNthat belonged to someone else OR should the new daca SSN be used?
I have not updated my new SSN at my job yet.

2. how does one update their ITIN to the new SSN from daca at the Social security office?
Will the ssn office wonder why I have an ITIN or would they be able to tell it belonged to a different person? I did not know it belonged to a different person, I thought it was just a made up one.

Thanks in advance.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I believe you should have disclosed the fact that you were using a different SSN when you were applying for DACA. Now, if you never used anybody's SSN and just used your TAX ID, you should just 1. go to a CPA or a TAX attorney and see if you need to refile taxes under the new SSN. And, yes, now you should receive and use YOUR SSN. Good luck.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:



I meant the ssn was used only for work employment purposes not for anything else like to get a credit card for example. I just used the ssn to get the ITIN. Daca does not ask for this information when applying which is why it wasn't disclosed. I will take your advice and re file taxes under the new ssn and will start using the new ssn. Thanks again.


I agree with my colleague. use your new SSN.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.


Just get a Social Security number and start using it.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer