Hello. I am having marital problems that may lead to divorce. Of course, this depends on the answers I get on this site.

Asked 9 months ago - Richardson, TX

My mother died in 2012 and left me the house I grew up in. I understand Texas is a community property state. If it comes to divorce, is my wife entitled to half of the house? My name is the only one on the deed. Thanks!

1. Leslie Starr Barrows

Pro

3

Answered . No she is not entitled to your mom's house, it is your separate property.

2. Dennis R. Martin

Pro

3

Answered . Because it was inherited it is your separate property and a Judge cannot take it away from you.

3. Brian Douglas Walters

Pro

3

Answered . Normally an inherited piece of real estate would remain your separate property. However, the presumption of all property is that it is community property, so be careful and hire a good lawyer if you get divorced. It is also possible that the community estate could make a claim against the house for reimbursement or under another theory. It is pretty complex sometimes.

This information is not legal advice and does not form an attorney-client relationship.
  4. Alan James Brinkmeier

3

Answered . The house from your mom goes to you