Hello! I am currently in the USA holding B1/B2 status. Can I register a new company in Florida and lawfully run this company

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

(car dealership), and apply for status change without leaving the US? This is not a branch of foreign company. Thank you!

1. Carlos E Sandoval

2

1

Answered . You can register the new company, but you cannot engage in gainful employment while you are in the United States in a B-1/B-2 visa. You need to change your status to something that allows you to work, and you should consult with an immigration lawyer regarding what are your best options.

2. Jeffrey Adam Devore

Pro

2

1

Answered . Anyone can form and own a business in the United States. Working in that business requires appropriate authorization. Whether a change of status would be viable in your case depends upon its specific facts. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney for case specific advice.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

2

1

Answered . Register? Yes

Run it? No

Change status & then run it? Perhaps, meet with an attorney ... I see some problems with a car dealership. But, they shouldn't be insurmountable with a good attorney helping you.

4. Dean P Murray

1

2

Answered . You cannot run the dealerhip since it would constitute working the United States and you do not have work authorization. You owe it to yourself to contact an immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Also, please be sure to read my disclaimer below. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700