Hello, can I marry my german girlfriend when she's on a waiver? She's visiting me now and I asked her to marry me

Asked almost 2 years ago - Albertville, AL

- we've been together for 1,5 years and met in san francisco while she was on a J-1 Visa
- She returned home for 2 month and is now visiting me in Alabama on a waiver Program

1. Karen-Lee Pollak

6

Answered . You can marry her as long as she is not subject to the 2 year home residency requirement

2. F. J. Capriotti III

5

Answered . Marriage yes ... stay in the US and adjust-status?????? Tricky ... especially since she went home for a mere 2 months.

Talk to an attorney ... don't plan on doing anything within 60 days of arrival. And, then, you'll only have 30 days to do all the paperwork .... not a good plan.

3. Eugene J. Glicksman

3

Answered . Marrying her is one thing; applying for and being granted permanent residence is another. Because she was previously in the US on a J1, she might be subject to the two-year foreign residence requirement. I would strongly suggest that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney near you for a full review and advice as to how you may proceed.

Good luck!

4. Thomas W. Goldman

Pro

3

Answered . Certainly can marry but the question is whether a green card is possible. An attorney needs to determine if there was a two year.requirement on the J visa and if not what action to take. Also your status as Us citizen or permanent resident needs to be determined, which will affect the green card.

5. Steven Sahag Vosbikian

Pro

2

Answered . You get one clean shot - consult an immigration attorney.