Hello, can I marry my german girlfriend when she's on a waiver? She's visiting me now and I asked her to marry me

Asked almost 2 years ago - Albertville, AL

- we've been together for 1,5 years and met in san francisco while she was on a J-1 Visa
- She returned home for 2 month and is now visiting me in Alabama on a waiver Program

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Karen-Lee Pollak

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can marry her as long as she is not subject to the 2 year home residency requirement

  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Marriage yes ... stay in the US and adjust-status?????? Tricky ... especially since she went home for a mere 2 months.

    Talk to an attorney ... don't plan on doing anything within 60 days of arrival. And, then, you'll only have 30 days to do all the paperwork .... not a good plan.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  3. Eugene J. Glicksman

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Marrying her is one thing; applying for and being granted permanent residence is another. Because she was previously in the US on a J1, she might be subject to the two-year foreign residence requirement. I would strongly suggest that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney near you for a full review and advice as to how you may proceed.

    Good luck!

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. A... more
  4. Thomas W. Goldman


    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Certainly can marry but the question is whether a green card is possible. An attorney needs to determine if there was a two year.requirement on the J visa and if not what action to take. Also your status as Us citizen or permanent resident needs to be determined, which will affect the green card.

  5. Steven Sahag Vosbikian


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You get one clean shot - consult an immigration attorney.

    VOSBIKIAN & VOSBIKIAN, L.L.C. (856) 755-1400, e-mail: ssvosbikian@voslaw.com - Offices in Atlantic City, Cherry... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,045 answers this week

3,145 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,045 answers this week

3,145 attorneys answering