Hello? am I resident alien or non resident alien?

Asked 9 months ago - New York, NY

I have been in the US since 2010 and married to a US citizen in 2013. We didn't apply for my green card yet but can we file taxes jointly? am I considered as a resident alien?

Thanks

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

7

Answered . You are not an LPR. The rest, you need to discuss with an accountant.

2. Ajay Kumar Arora

7

Answered . File you taxes jointly. Although not required to prove a good faith marriage, it shows co-mingling of assets and cohabitation.

File as a resident alien based on the "substantial presence" test. You will be taxed on your worldwide income. Check with a tax attorney for case specific tax assistance.

3. C. C. Abbott

6

Answered . USCIs and IRS defines resident in different contexts. The IRS has a handbook for assisting non US Citizens to file taxes. One is not a LPR for immigration purposes without filing the I-485.

4. Guerline Ladouceur-Laurore

Pro

5

Answered . You can file taxes jointly but you are not a resident alien just by virtue of being married to a USC. He must apply on your behalf. Consult an attorney if you need further assistance.

5. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

5

Answered . I tend to think that you may benefit by filing jointly, however, the exact tax determinations should be explained to you by a local CPA.