Skip to main content nephew is arrested 3x in the last 6 months for drug poss, grand theft, burglery charges in West Palm Beach.

West Palm Beach, FL |

His court date for the 1st 2 arrests was postponed to next week, but he was arrested again yesterday for the 3rd time. He has a clear drug problem that his parents have tried to deal with unsuccessfully. Would the courts send him straight to jail or is there a possibility of a very strong drug rehab/probation?

Attorney Answers 3


Yes. The Courts do have the ability to sentence someone to attend rehab, usually upon the agreement of the state and the defense. If he goes that route, it is also important to choose the right rehab facility, as failing the program is often worse than taking a jail sentence in the first place.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


I can tell you in Palm Beach County, it is very popssible the State tries to send him to jail with no treatment. You need to hire an experienced and aggressive attorney who can negotiate a plea for all three cases that includes treatment and not jail. Much of it depends on the exact charges, the judge and the prosecutor. He needs a lawyer ASAP.

Feel free to call my office for a free consultation regarding his case.

John S. Riordan, Esq.
(561) 886-2620

John S. Riordan, Esq., is a partner with Kelley, Kronenberg, Gilmartin, Fichtel, Wander, Bamdas, Eskalyo & Dunbrack running the West Palm Beach Criminal Defense and White Collar Crime Division. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm Beach County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. He can be reached at (561) 886-2620 for a free consultation. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


I would call Mr. Riordan as he has experience and practices in West Palm. He will likely have more information about the local prosecutors and judges.

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-588-6714 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at and put AVVO in the subject line.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics