Hello, My daughter is a minor,15 years old, we are adjusting her status through an I-485 form. Should we apply for 1-130?

Asked 6 months ago - Richardson, TX

She was admitted lawfully in the USA but it is out of status currently.
My husband is a USA citizen. I am a legal resident.

I am very sorry ,this is not the form I meant. The correct question is : Should we apply for form I-131 (application for travel document)?
Thank you for all your replies.

1. Aneliya M. Angelova

Pro

3

Answered . Yes. A family based I-485 is based on filing a Petition for Alien Relative - I130.

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.
  2. Brian Lee Plotts

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, but it would be best to consult and immigration attorney to help you in the case.

3. Stephen D. Berman

1

Answered . An I-485 is an application to adjust status, generally based on an approved or pending immigrant visa petition. If that is the basis for the I-485, then there must be an approved or pending visa petition.

4. Jennifer Heewon Ahn

1

Answered . If she needs to travel, you can apply for an I-131 but I would talk to an immigration attorney about this issue first before filing.

5. Gabriel Jimenez

Pro

Answered . Your question is unclear. Is your question about the I-130 or the I-131 (travel document)? If the I-131, why do you want to apply for that? Those issues aside, assuming that your daughter does not have any ground of inadmissibility that apply to her, it sounds like a straightforward adjustment case. I still recommend that you consult an attorney, as people often think they can do these cases themselves and regretfully find out that they can't.