Hello, I'm trying to ascertain what a fair amount is for an auto insurance settlement for a hit and run accident.

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I was rear ended in a hit and run accident and the police eventuallycaught the guy who did have insurance. I went to two doctors appointments and had a spinal x-ray, but I had no injury except a sore neck. The driver's insurance already paid for my totalled car. They have offered me $4,250 as a settlemen - $685 for lost wages, $1038 in medical expenses and $2,500 for pain and suffering. My question is - does this seem like a fair settlement?

1. Mariam Mary Margaryan

13

Answered . It depends on your damages and the extent of your injuries. If all you had was a sore neck and your injury has resolved with treatment, and you have been advised that you do not need future treatment, then the offer is not unreasonable. I agree with Mr. Vargas that you should continue to negotiate with the insurance company until you are comfortable with the offer. You should use the fact that their insured was irresponsible and fled the scene of the accident as leverage. Good luck.

2. Fernando Davin Vargas

Pro

11

Answered . If you have absolutely no injuries, the offer appears reasonable. Make sure you were paid some money for the time your vehicle was in the body shop getting repaired. Then, continue to negotiate with the carrier until you feel they have extended their maximum offer. Best of luck!

3. Ajay Mohan Kwatra

Pro

9

Answered . You have some good responses. The ulitmate descision is up to you. Good luck!

4. Scott J. Corwin

Pro

9

Answered . Without more information about the nature of the treatment or potential for future treatment, it would not be fair for me to say whether or not one particular settlement value would be fair or not. If you have a car accident attorney representing you, then you should consult with him or her. If you do not have an experienced personal injury attorney representing you, then you may want to consult with local motor vehicle accident attorney to review the specifics of your case and confirm the calculations. Best of luck.

5. Stephen Charles Moore

9

Answered . Hit and run cases in Alabama generally settle for approximately 4 to 5 times medicals absent a significant permanent injury. So in our venue the offer would be in line with comparable claim value.
    If you have any reservations you should consult with a local lawyer registered on the Avvo web site.

6. Richard Andrew Harting

Pro

7

Answered . If your sore neck essentially resolved shortly after your two doctor visits, this seems like a reasonable settlement - but you can always go back and test the waters by counter-demanding $5,750 and see what happens.

7. Michael Shemtoub

6

Answered . based on your limited injuries, yes.

8. Farid Yaghoubtil

6

Answered . Seems like a fair amount, considering your injuries. Just know that once you sign the settlement, you are no longer entitled to compensation no matter how bad your injuries turn out to be.

Farid Yaghoubtil is an attorney at Downtown L.A. Law Group - 1850 E. 15th St., Los Angeles, CA 90021. (855)385-2529.

Pro

7

Answered . With a local lawyer, it could likely be a bigger number, but it's not too shabby.

10. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

3

Answered . Make it a clean $5,000.00 and you are there. Best of luck.