Hello, I have a question for a Personal Injury attorney who is knowledgeable on the VA statue of limitations.

Asked about 2 years ago - Chantilly, VA

I have a PI case which resulted from an auto accident where the other party was at fault. At the time of the accident I lived in MD but the accident occured in VA.

1. If the case were to go to trial, woudl I be filing in MD or VA?

2. If VA, is this required? Could i not file in MD if I live there?

3. If this claim woudl be filed in VA, I am unclear of the statue of limitations. I have pasted below what i have found relating to this, but am unclear if this claim would relate to the 5 year written contract, or the 2 year injury. Needless to say this is a personal injury as a result of an auto accident, but there is an insurance contract. * What time limit applies?* Virginia 5(written contract) 3 (oral contract) 2 (injury) 5 (property damage)

*PS* I am looking for an attorney.

Attorney answers (6)

  1. 11

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . The case must be filed either where the accident happened or where the defendant lives.

    It does not matter where you live.

    The statute of limitations on the personal injury claim is two years.

    For any property damage to your vehicle the statue limitations is five years.

    It does not matter that there is an insurance contract involved.

    Even if the case can be filed in Maryland because the defendant lives there the Maryland court will apply to Virginia statue limitations.

    Ben Glass is licensed in Virginia. He offers a number of free consumer book downloads at his site for information... more
  2. 8

    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . In Virginia, the statute of limitations for personal injury is 2 years from the date of the accident. For property damage, 5 years. The Maryland court, should the defendant reside there, will apply the Virginia statute of limitations.

    You may contact me for a free consultation:

    The answer provided is for general information purposes and cannot be relied upon. In order to provide legal... more
  3. 9

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . File where accident happened. 2 years. Depending upon the amount you sue for, you could file in Federal court if you prefer to Va state court. Leave these issues to your atty. Find someone asap.

  4. 9

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You would file where the injury occurred of where the defendant resides. If that's in va then that's where you would file. Contact a va attorney who contributes on this site.


  5. 9

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . 2 years for personal injury, and 5 for property. Best bet is to call one of the lawyers in your state who responded above. Good luck.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  6. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Undertanding that missing the deadline for a statute of limitations effectively prevents you from any recovery, it is often best to hedge your bets with the shortest statute period. It sounds like you are on the right track. I would use the Avvo search to find an appropriate attorney. best of luck.

    I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which... more

Related Topics

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Personal injury settlement

Personal injury settlements are agreements made between the two parties of an injury lawsuit. They outline the compensation that an injured party receives.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now