HELLO....THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP......MY SISTER AND I OWN ABOUT 44 ACRES TOGETHER. THERE ARE OTHER PARTIES....HOW CAN WE SELL?

Sherman, TX |

THE TOTAL FAMILY FARM IS ABOUT 145 AC....AND MY SISTER AND I OWN A THIRD TOGETHER.....WE WANT TO SELL NOW AND THE OTHER PARTIES ARE NOT SURE THEY WANT TO SELL ....PLEASE ADVISE

Short of convincing the other parties that it is in their best interests to sell, a partition action would be necessary. You would need to weigh the cost of this suit against the benefit anticipated from either getting the 1/3 that you and your sister own carved out into a separate tract; if the property cannot be fairly divided, then against a 1/3 share of proceeds from the sale of the entire parcel. If you want more information about partition, you should contact an competent Texas attorney who practices real estate law.

The above comments are made by an attorney at The Rieck Law Firm (RLF). RLF offers free initial consultation to potential clients and more information about this firm can be found at www.riecklawfirm.com. PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMMENT, EMAIL ME OR PHONE ME. Materials contained within this website and submitted by this user (including the above comments) provide information on general legal issues and are not intended to provide advice on any specific legal matter. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Answering a question does not make me your lawyer, and neither do follow-up comments and/or emails and/or phone calls, and you should not expect me to respond to your further questions if you haven't hired me. We need an actual agreement confirmed in writing before any attorney-client relationship is formed. This answer doesn't constitute legal advice, and shouldn't be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. Internet and online readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.

Thank you for your question. I agree with the previous response. I would strongly recommend having an attorney review the deed and related agreements concerning the ownership of the land in order to properly advise you on the best course of action based upon your goals.

You all will either need to reach agreement, or you would have to seek partition from the court which is a very expensive proposition and would require an attorney.

Ryan Vancil Esq

Ryan Vancil Esq

Consider partitioning the land and letting them keep their share of the land.