Skip to main content

Hello ! My Wife is from Cuban she has the CU6 , we just apply for my green card , but i have a arrest record .

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

I would like to know what concerns and precautions i should have when comes to my interview.
if the arrest could get my application rejected. is any thing i should do before the interview ?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Hire a lawyer and discuss your record with him or her.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. You should not rely solely on the information provided in this page as every case is different and laws are in a constant state of change.

  2. Yet another reason why you should seriously consider hiring an immigration attorney. Yes, your arrest can get your application denied.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

  3. Find an attorney who is experienced and competent in both immigration and criminal law.

    Nothing in this response to your posting on AVVO is intended or should be considered as legal advice to your specific situation. Our posting is intended to provide general information of interest to the public. Facts relevant to your situation and not disclosed in your posting may affect your specific legal rights and remedies.

  4. Whether or not your criminal record will pose problems for your adjustment really depends on the specific offense and whether you were convicted. Be prepared to answer pointed questions from the interviewing officer regarding your arrest. It is crucial you consult directly with a criminal immigration attorney before your interview to determine the immigration consequences of your criminal record. An attorney could also help prepare you for the interview and attend it with you. Best wishes.

    Please note, the above answer is for general informational purposes only.

  5. Immigration law treats criminal charges and convictions differently then does criminal law. It is advisable to collect all of your criminal and immigration records and have an experienced immigration attorney provide you with a legal opinion on your options. Be careful of using a notario who is not authorized for provide legal advise. Good luck.

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics