Hello, My wife got her visa now; can she now become a permanent resident? If so, does she have to leave the country?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I petition for her and got her approved for the dreamers visa . We're are confused about i601 and i485 , which one corresponds to our situation ? Thank you .

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I assume she has not arrived into this country with a valid visa originally. If this is the case, no. there is no dreamers visa only dreamers stay of execution. It does not give her a valid admission which she needs to adjust.

    www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell:... more
  2. Daniel Warren Thomann

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I agree with my colleague. There is no such thing as a "dreamers visa" - if you are referring to Deferred Action (DACA) then that is not a "visa", it is temporary relief from deportation that does not provide a path to permanent residence or citizenship.

    This does not mean that your wife will not be able to adjust her status and become a permanent resident, only that she probably will not be able to do it through DACA. You should consult an immigration attorney directly to review the details of her situation and advise you about what steps she can take to become a permanent resident and whether she will need to leave the country. Good luck!

    www.azitalaw.com - 312.641.0771 - The information above is general in nature and is not intended to create an... more
  3. Laura Justine Jacobson

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It's unclear what you petitioned for. By "dreamers visa" do you mean your wife got deferred action? That is the new program announced last summer for people who arrived as children to get a two-year work permit. If that's what your wife has, there is no way for her to become a permanent resident through that.

    If you are a US citizen, you can petition for your wife with an I-130 family petition. Whether she qualifies for the I-485 or has to return to her country will depend on how she entered. If she does have to leave the country, she will need be I-601 waiver if she's been here unlawfully for more than 180 days.

    The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney... more
  4. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . When you say dreamers visa are you referring to DACA? You can petition for her if you are a US citizen or permanent resident, whether she will have to go back home is dependent on many factors that have not been addressed here. You should consult with an attorney for a specific analysis of her case.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,099 answers this week

3,045 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,099 answers this week

3,045 attorneys answering