Skip to main content

Hello:) I had my SUV appraised by a court certified appraiser. The diminished value according to that report

Lutz, FL |

is $4,250.00. Geico is denying payment because they pulled a Car Fax and it did show the accident but stated that the vehicle did not diminish. Should I pursue this or drop it or get a lawyer to fight so I don't get screwed over? Also, I have been treating for medical for close to three months. I am waiting on results of an MRI to see if there is more going on with my back that was not determined by normal x-rays to see what the next steps in medical treatment are. I was told that if the MRI is benign that it could be another 6 to 18 months before I fully recover and that I have reached maximum results from physical therapy. I have been able to work in this ordeal but have been in moderate pain still although better from the initial first six weeks. I did not cause this accident.

I am wondering if I have a medical claim if I was not clear about that fact. Thank you! I forgot to mention in the letter from Geico they said that I have to go find accident vehicles that have sold for less as a result of the accident. How the heck would I go about that?

Attorney Answers 10

  1. You should get a lawyer so you do not get screwed over. The insurance company will not pay diminished value otherwise. You should contact an experienced personal injury layer to help you with both your personal injury claim and your diminished value claim. You will maximize your recovery with a lawyer.

  2. This is typical for Geico. You should hire a lawyer

  3. Best to get a local lawyer so they take your claim seriously. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to find a top-rated Avvo lawyer with a low contingency fee. Good luck.

  4. Consult with a lawyer for help. The situation you describe is all too common. A good lawyer can help. Good luck.

  5. I would really need more details to give you the answer to your questions. It sounds like you are getting the run around from the insurance company. They are not being fair to you. You should hire a personal injury attorney to file a lawsuit against the insurance company. It's the only way to get fair compensation from them. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks.


    Nothing in this answer is to be interpreted as legal advice. I would need more facts to fully assess your case.

  6. I would suggest that you hire an attorney to assit you with your diminished value claim. As the at fault party's insurance company, Geico is not obligated to you and therefore does not have to pay you for your claim. Hiring an attorney to assist you with your diminished value claim will be beneficial because an attorney can file a complaint against Geico and hire an expert who will be able to provide expert testimony as to the diminished value of your vehicle based on the value of your car before the accident compared with the value of your car after the accident.

    In addition, if you have suffered back injury because of your accident then you were right to seek medical treatment. Under Florida's Personal Injury Protection (PIP) laws, your insurance company is responsible for paying $10,000, including 80% of your medical bills and 60% of your lost wages. However, if this accident was not your fault and you incur additional medical expenses, it would be wise to consult a personal injury attorney in your area. MRIs and physiclal therapy expenses can add up, so it would be best to hire an attorney who can make a demand on the at fault party's insurance company so that you are appropriately compensation for your loss. Best of luck.

  7. I agree with the other attorney's. Hire an experienced AVVO attorney who handles personal injury claims. The diminished value claim should be handles by an attorney.

  8. As suggested you should consult an attorney regarding both your property damage/diminshed value claim and your injury claim. Your question doesn't say if GEICO is your insurance companny or the othr parties carrier. If GEICO is yours, an attorney can bring suit against them and if won at trial, GEICO would be liable for his/her fess. If GEICO is the other at fault parties insurance company then you may have a third party claim against that "driver" for the diminshed value and injury claim. Stop dealing with GEICO on your own and get an attorney to represent you. Finally, I am finding GEICO to be difficult and ridiculous in there offers to settle claims and my office is to the point of filinlg suit on every case where GEICO is involved. Good Luck.

    This response is to provide general legal information and does not constitute legal advice nor should it be considered or viewed as forming any sort of attorney-client relationship and such information provided is viewable by the general public.

  9. An experienced personal injury attorney can help guide you through these issues and can help you get the compensation you deserve for your car and your injuries. Please feel free to contact our Wesley Chapel personal injury law firm to consult with a lawyer for free.

  10. A good personal injury lawyer should be able to get you compensated for you injuries and the damage to your car. One additional thing to consider is the medical bills. Make sure your lawyer explores all avenues of insurance available to pay for your medical bills.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics