Heir Property

Collierville, TN |
Filed under: Estate planning

Currently my mother and I pay taxes on heir land that has not been divided amongst the heirs, how does she go about getting it separated so each heir can pay taxes on their portion and not have only 2 people to pay taxes yearly on the entire property? The land is located in the state of Louisiana.

Louisiana is still under the Napoleonic Code, so nothing down there works like it does in a normal state. You are going to have to consult someone licensed in Louisiana to get a competent answer.

While I suppose that the good people of the great State of Louisiana might take objection with my colleague's implication that it is not a "normal state", I agree with him that there are things about Louisiana law that are different from the other 49 states, which makes it all the more important that you follow my colleague's advice and find a lawyer in Louisiana to help you.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Flood and Masiuk, LLC and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Wills and estates topics