Heir Property

Asked over 2 years ago - Collierville, TN

Currently my mother and I pay taxes on heir land that has not been divided amongst the heirs, how does she go about getting it separated so each heir can pay taxes on their portion and not have only 2 people to pay taxes yearly on the entire property? The land is located in the state of Louisiana.

1. William Ira Howell Acuff

1

Answered . Louisiana is still under the Napoleonic Code, so nothing down there works like it does in a normal state. You are going to have to consult someone licensed in Louisiana to get a competent answer.

2. Joseph M. Masiuk

Pro

Answered . While I suppose that the good people of the great State of Louisiana might take objection with my colleague's implication that it is not a "normal state", I agree with him that there are things about Louisiana law that are different from the other 49 states, which makes it all the more important that you follow my colleague's advice and find a lawyer in Louisiana to help you.