Health Insurance

Asked 11 months ago - New York, NY

I'm not legally seperated and/or divorced. Am I still obligated to have my spouse on my health coverage?

1. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

6

Answered . Here's the problem with the flat-out "no" answer to your question: if your spouse makes substantially less than you & does not have access to health coverage through an employer, once the divorce does start, the Judge would be highly likely to: (a) order reinstatement of coverage, (b) if the Judge perceievs you terminated coverage out of spite, the Judge may make you reimburse any uncovered health care expenses. For a full assessment, schedule a consultation with a NYC Family Law attorney.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  2. David Alexander Browde

Pro

4

Answered . No.

Pro

3

Answered . Not obligated, but best not to drop your spouse, or it will likely come back to bite you.

4. Robert J Adams Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . No.