Skip to main content

Headed to court Don't feel to confident in Lawyer . I know I can represent myself solo. But can we both represent me?

Baltimore, MD |

I feel my lawyer is not aggressive enough , and to be successful in this court case I need to be in control and really cross examine the witness. I would like for us both to cross examine witness is this possible will a judge allow if a lawyer agree to it?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. No. Period. This will not happen. Ever.

    You must either discharge counsel or permit them to do the job. It is a fallacy that your lawyer must always be speaking in order to advance your case. The real art is knowing when not to speak.

  2. I agree with counsel. Either you must discharge your attorney and represent yourself, or your attorney will speak for you at court, except for those instances where you testify under oath as to the facts. Sometimes clients are right, and they see something the attorney does not see. However, more often than not, a client simply does not have the experience to recognize what is plain and simple for an attorney to see. This is truly your judgment call. The judge will not permit you to be the attorney if you already have an attorney. So either it is you In Pro Per, or it is through your attorney. You must make a decision. However, before making a decision, I suggest you discuss your concerns with your attorney. Perhaps your attorney's explanation will clarify matters one way or another.

    This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship with you because you have not yet retained me, and because you have not provided me with a COMPLETE set of all the FACTS in your legal situation. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. This answer is provided as GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and to assist you in beginning your own research or in finding an attorney to represent you. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California. If you want me to provide legal advice, then you must call for a Consultation. If you would like me to represent you, then a Retainer and a fully signed and dated Legal Services Agreement (a contract) will be required. Office: (410) 381-1656. David Mahood, Esq.

  3. Attorneys Valkenet and Mahood are correct. You can be a witness in your case, but you'll never be able to represent yourself while having an attorney with you.

    This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. I am licensed in Connecticut and New York and my answers are based upon the law in those jurisdictions. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if I were to review a client's file and have the opportunity to interview the client. Accordingly, I strongly urge you to retain an attorney in your jurisdiction with respect to any legal matter.

  4. You'd likely only get the judge on your bad side if you cross examined a witness yourself.