Skip to main content

He wants to apply for green Card, how can he prove that he has a good moral character after he has committed a misdemeanor?

Tampa, FL |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

Arrested for shoplifting a 12-dollar value item. Was not found guilty. Can he prove to immigration that he now has a good moral character by doing hours of volunteer service, having good grades if he wants to apply for green card after Dream Act Passes?
Illegal because b1 visa expired

Attorney Answers 3


HI there. I think you are talking about a possible future amnesty or DREAM Act. Generally, the US immigration law provides exceptions or waviers for petty offenses. Hopefully, this is a petty offense and that any new amnesty program will provide an exception or waiver for it. Best regards.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Good moral character is not a requirement for legal residency.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree

1 comment



but i read that it is one of the requirements to apply for it when Dream act passes


DREAMers turned into DACA, which is a current immigration benefit. Generally, a finding of not guilty should not disqualify him for DACA unless perhaps he confessed. You should consult privately with an immigration attorney to see what is possible.

Call: 888.483.0311. Information provided is general in nature and is not legal advice to be relied upon for any particular matter.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics