Having to fire my DUI attorney after 1 week

Vista, CA |

Hey i know this is horrible but I have to fire my attorney after a week due to a serious financial burden. I received a dui and cannot afford to pay him. How much is a fair price if all he did was set a dmv appointment for me. I never signed the retainer but gave him $750 up front. Thank you for your advice

If that's truly all that's been done, you should get all of your money back. At least that's what I would do. Good luck.

If that is all he did, you should get most of your money back. However, when I take on representation of a new client in such a case, I often do a fair amount of preparatory work. In Wisconsin written fee agreements are required, though. Most lawyers would return the entire amount, I suspect.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

If no agreement was executed, you should definitely request a refund minus the amount of time he expended.

The information presented here is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The Goodman Law Group, P.C. recommends that you consult an attorney with experience in your specific legal issue. Please contact us to schedule a confidential discussion of your situation. Such communication does not create an attorney-client relationship of any kind until a formal engagement agreement is signed by both you and the Goodman Law Group, P.C.

Depends on how much work/preparation was already done (at the attorney's reasonable hourly rate) minus any money already paid. The fact you never signed a retainer should help your cause.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555