Having to fire my DUI attorney after 1 week

Asked over 1 year ago - Vista, CA

Hey i know this is horrible but I have to fire my attorney after a week due to a serious financial burden. I received a dui and cannot afford to pay him. How much is a fair price if all he did was set a dmv appointment for me. I never signed the retainer but gave him $750 up front. Thank you for your advice

1. Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Pro

5

Answered . If that's truly all that's been done, you should get all of your money back. At least that's what I would do. Good luck.

2. David Philip Shapiro

Pro

3

Answered . Depends on how much work/preparation was already done (at the attorney's reasonable hourly rate) minus any money already paid. The fact you never signed a retainer should help your cause.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555
  3. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

3

Answered . If that is all he did, you should get most of your money back. However, when I take on representation of a new client in such a case, I often do a fair amount of preparatory work. In Wisconsin written fee agreements are required, though. Most lawyers would return the entire amount, I suspect.

4. Ross Carl Goodman

Pro

3

Answered . If no agreement was executed, you should definitely request a refund minus the amount of time he expended.