Skip to main content


Cincinnati, OH |

Should have plaintiff move to have the court documents in the ligation sealed, so it does not depreprive a person for future work or employment, if an employed learns of a person suing a large company they may not want to hire that person.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Court proceedings are a matter of public record

  2. In certain circumstances you can have a criminal record sealed but as counsel stated court proceedings are a matter of public record, and civil cases generally cannot be sealed.

  3. My fellow counsel are correct - adult criminal and all civil proceedings are a matter of public record. Note however, that juvenile court proceedings are NOT public - and the record of juvenile proceedings will be sealed upon completion (by the court or upon motion of an attorney) and available only to certain state agencies and law enforcement by request.

    DISCLAIMER: Confidential Information should not be shared on the internet. Anonymous posts can be traced back to the original poster. Be careful what you share on this or any other website. I am a criminal defense attorney based in Central Ohio with offices in Delaware and Marion, Ohio. The laws of other states differ from Ohio's laws. I am not permitted to practice in other states without first obtaining special permission. Nothing on this or any other website creates an attorney-client relationship. If something I say differs from that of your current attorney, you should rely on the advice of your attorney. Your attorney knows the unique facts of your case including the court and other attorneys involved. If you doubt your attorney for some reason and wish to seek other counsel, you should do so in person, not over the internet. The internet is often a good place to gather information, but should not be considered a substitute for legal counsel. The information offered in my posts is for educational purposes only.

Juvenile law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics