Having a student loan discharged

Seattle, WA |

I have been looking into getting a discharge of my student loans but am not sure if it is possible. I am on SSDI ( and long term disability from my previous employer) with a review in 5-7 years. Do you have to have only disability income to qualify? I am married and my husband has a great job so I am not sure if that will make it so we can't get a discharge on them. I still have a lot in loans and since my income was cut in half due to this damn disease, it would help quite a bit to get rid of the $500/month payment. The paperwork doesn't make a lot of sense...the way I read it is if I earn over the disability amount then I have to pay it but I can see how it could be interpreted as if the household earns over a certain amount. Does my husband's income count?

An accurate answer depends on the terms of your student loans, especially the extent of federal government involvement. For those loans there is a program of loan forgiveness in cases of disability. The cooperation of your treating physician is essential to the documentation. A great deal of information is available online. This website appears helpful:

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

Social security topics

Recommended articles about Social security