Haven't filed taxes or the past two years because of unemployment/full time student. How should I fill out Question 11 on i-864?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lehi, UT

Hi there,
I'm filing for change of status after getting married to a US citizen. We got married in September 2012. I'm currently employed (after graduation) and has been so since March 2012 and I'm currently on F-1 OPT. I didn't file for tax returns for the past two tax years because I did not work from Jan 2010 to Feb 2012.
How should I fill out Question 11 on Form i-864? I have tax transcripts for the years 2009, 2008, and 2007. I came to the US in Jan 2006 on student visa.

Thank you in advance!

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

6

1

Answered . On an Affidavit of support it is the USC petitioner (and not the foreign national beneficiary) who needs to answer all these questions and provide earnings info and copy of latest tax return.

3. Rebecca Cook Black

5

1

Answered . That is correct, it is the USC who is filling out the affidavit of support.

4. Hasan Abdullah

2

Answered . It seems you are somewhat unclear on who needs to prepare which forms.

You may click the link below to find some useful free attorney-prepared self-assessment tools relating to I-130 and I-485 petitions along with the other necessary forms (I-864, and optional I-765 and I-131).
    www.immigrationease.com

Good luck!