Have you had a case were your client was in contempt ?

Asked 6 months ago - Greenbelt, MD

What was a reason why they were in contempt have they had warnings ?

1. Jack Richard Lebowitz

Pro

Answered . Yes. Mouthing off in Court and being disrespectful to the Judge, speaking when not asked to speak. Yes they were warned, but the it's like two strikes and you're out (in handcuffs and sitting in jail for a while). That's one if the reasons there are armed and uniformed Court Officers in every NYS court of record in the Unified Court System, and I've seen numerous people held in contempt for being disruptive, especially in Family Court and Criminal Courts.

2. Jennifer L. Ellis

Pro

Answered . Normally people are held in contempt for being rude to the court and/or ignoring an order. Most of the time there will be a warning. However, if the behavior is really offensive and upsets the judge enough, then the judge could choose to just hold the person in contempt immediately.