Skip to main content

Have you ever been issued a U.S. visa?

Chicago, IL |

I filled out a DS 160 for B2 visa but just realized that I may have made a mistake in the application. I originally went to US on F1 visa and after completing my studies and OPT, I got approved for H1B visa while in US and stayed there for another year. I have been back to my home country for the past 5 years and now applying for B2 visa so that I can visit relatives in the US. In the visa application it asks if I had ever been to US and under what visa. I responded yes and put the F1 visa information. However, when filing out the application, I did not include the H1B visa information since I never got it stamped, so I assumed that it was never validated. I did plan on bringing the documents I had for both F1 and H1B to the interview. Now I am wondering if I answered the question wrong. I have already submitted application and scheduled interview. What should I do? Can I update the application and print new confirmation page to take to interview? Should I just wait to address this at interview like I had planned to do? If so, should I bring it to the visa officer’s attention upfront to clarify or wait until they ask? Thank you all for your insights.

Attorney Answers 4


Don't worry. Just answer all the questions regarding all your statuses in the US as best as you can during the interview and you should be fine.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Explain it at the interview, before the first question is ever asked. You will be OK.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I agree. Explain it at the time of your interview. Don't lose any sleep about it.

Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Yes, you did answer it incorrectly.

No, it won't be a big deal ... explain at the interview, as suggested by my colleagues.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics