Skip to main content

Have warrant for missing court on wreckless driving citation due to moving back to texas, any way i dont have to go to court?

Cypress, TX |

i recieved a ticket due to a wrecke deemed my fault, i was in the middle of a divorce and had to move back to texas 2 weeks after recieving the ticket and completely forgot about he court date. i tried to reschedule within a few hours of missing court and they already released a warrant for it. i did not have the 525 dollars to pay the warrant at the time and am now in texas and have tried several times to just pay theticket off in installments but they tell me i must fly all the way back just go to court... is there ANTHING i can do to avoid having to fly across country to take care of a ticket i am willing to just pay? i cant risk my license being suspended in texas. is it possible my wife whom im still legally married to go to court on my behalf?

Attorney Answers 2


You need to contact an attorney in the jurisdiction where you were given the reckless driving ticket. Ask if that attorney can get your appearance waived, negotiate a plea agreement, and allow you to mail in the required fine/court costs from wherever you are in Texas. Your wife cannot go to court for you. But, if the court will allow it, an attorney may usually make the appearance on your behalf.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You should re-post this question in the state you received the "citation". You may want to seek an attorney there from Avvo.

In Texas, there is a potential for 30 days in jail for reckless driving, so it's not typically considered simply a "citation". Citation is a word which makes me think of a "fine only" sentence range, such as Class C misdemeanors in Texas.

Your court may have more formal procedures in place because your charge may carry the possibility of jail time. Usually, "fine only" cases may be handled without the defendant being physically present.

It simply makes sense to consult with an attorney. You may wind up saving more on travel expenses.

Like my fellow lawyer said, your wife cannot represent you in court. This case is considered the government against you.

Good luck.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics