Have the business pay for my attorney fees and costs? Is the judge the only one that can award attorney fees and costs?

Lake Elsinore, CA |

I filed for a divorce, I paid for my attorney fees and costs with my savings account. My husband, the Respondent paid for his fees and costs with credit card and the business is paying the credit card bill. I don't know if we are going to settle or go to trial. Is the judge the only one that can award attorney fees and costs?

Yes the judge is the only one who can do that aside from the agreement between the parties.

This response will not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Sarieh Law Offices, and is not intended to serve as a legal advice in your specific circumstances. This response is a legal opinion based solely on facts represented and you should not rely on this legal opinion as a legal advice. You still need to consult an attorney directly to fully protect your legal rights.

Yes. That is correct. The Judge is the man or woman who can do that. If someone else - whether a business or individual wants to pay your fees for you - nothing wrong with that as long as they know that YOU are the client and they have no say in the direction, course and scope of the case.

This AVVO Answer does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. Each case is different and not enough facts exist to formulate a proper and thorough response. To the extent additional or different set of facts exist or the hypothetical or scenario presented herein is different, the opinion or commentary of the Attorney might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California and opinions are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise. For answers to specific legal questions, always consult with a licensed Attorney.

Yes, there is no other person to decide this if contested, unless the parties come to an agreement.

Recommended articles about Divorce