Have not paid my association dues in 3 years...Can they foreclose and put my house up for Auction??

Simpsonville, SC |

They have uptained a judgement against me for what I owe the Association..

1. In most states, HOAs can foreclose, but with a court judgment, the HOA has the right to seize other property from you as well. I am posting a link below to a description of property protected by state laws called exemptions for you to review, but be aware that anything not on that list for your state may be seized by law enforcement. Hope this perspective helps!

2. Yes. An HOA can foreclose and get a judgment against you. However, you could catch up any past due payments to the HOA and keep your home if you qualify to file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy. I suggest consulting with a bankruptcy attorney to see if they can help you. There is a link below to bankruptcy attorneys from around the country. Perhaps you can find one near you.