Have my civil rights be violated (privacy)

Plainwell, MI |

I was just informed that my director gave a co-worker access to my personal file this past summer. These are confidentail files , is it to late to address this with my human resource department . I feel there has been laws broken here..to late to bring charges against this person

Depends on what the files contained and what damages you sustained. You MAY have a suit against your employer, and or the employee. ZYou'll have to prove a lot more than your assertion that it happened. Not a civil rights issue. See a MI employment attorney ASAP.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

This depends on a number of factors including what records were revealed, to whom and why. And of course, as Attorney Rafter indicated, you need to have some evidence of what happened. Contact a local employment attorney for a consultation. You can search for an attorney on Avvo or contact the National Employment Lawyers Association for a referral.

This answer is provided for guidance only. DO NOT rely on it as legal advice. We DO NOT have an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney in your area for a one-on-one consultation before pursuing any action or making any decisions.

A lot depends on if the "co-worker" had authority
[part of his/her job title or duties] to look at or
"review" your files. However, if just another worker
then YES you could have privacy issues violated.
As far as your "civil rights" being violated we would
need more info. See: www.contingencyattorneymi.com
GOOD LUCK!

THIS ANSWER IS PURELY FOR ACADEMIC DISCUSSION ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE ANY TYPE OF LEGAL ADVICE OR LEGAL REPRESENTATION.

Civil rights topics