Have I found a flaw in a promissory note that would due me compensation for tuition reimbursement after being fired?

Dallas, TX |

While employed, I accepted tuition reimbursement totaling $10,000. After being fired, I applied for another $10,000 which was due to me. The second payment of reimbursement was denied due to a promissory note I signed. I don't however, think the note is written correctly to apply to being fired. The way I'm reading the note suggests if I leave the company under my will, I have to pay back. But I didn't leave, I was fired.
Here is the excerpt from the document: “I hereby agree to repay [company] an amount equal to 100% of the financial support I received during the past 2 years should I, as the recipient, terminate employment for any reason (except death, long-term disability or reduction in force) within 2 years of my receipt of any financial support pursuant to this Policy.”

If this is the sole provision of the agreement regarding recoupment of tuition, then you may well have found a defect in their determination.

I certainly agree that the next step is consultation with counsel. Many attorneys will provide an initial consultation at no cost to you. Consider contacting an attorney in your community, or consulting with one that you find here on Avvo.

This answer is not a substitute for consulting with and retaining the services of an attorney for your legal needs. By providing this answer, I am not entering into an attorney client relationship with you.

Maybe you have. And maybe they can still sue you at equity to recoup the money. Maybe you should consult with an attorney?

I doubt they will sue. It's a 19 billion dollar company, and the "paperwork" they were supposed to send me months ago asking for me to pay has yet to arrive. They've also withheld $5K of my bonus due to the situation. All in all, I feel I'm due $15K due to a poorly written promissory note. Thank you for your comments/caution though.

The validity and enforceability of contracts are determined by the contract as a whole. Contact an attorney and have him or her make this determination.

This comment is not legal advice and should not be viewed or relied upon as such. I give legal advice only in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm seldom provides free consultations except by prior agreement. I give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting either in my office or by telephone in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. I strictly limit my practice to: (1) Special education matters including ARD and IEP team meetings, least restrictive environment issues, private placements, discipline, due process hearings, appeals to courts and any other issues relating to handicapped students. (2) Student issues including discipline, suspension, expulsion, corporal punishment, civil rights protections, parental and student grievances before administrators and school boards, sexual harassment, molestation and other issuess concerning a student's relationship with public schools, charter schools, private schools, colleges and universities. (3) Educator employment issues including contracts, hearings, grievances, litigation and constitutional protections. (4) Issues concerning trade schools and colleges, proprietary schools, online schools and colleges and private schools and colleges, including fraud and deceptive trade practices, misrepresentations, contracts, admissions, failure to provide required courses, materials and internships, suspensions, dismissals, expulsions, student loans and a multitude of other academic and administrative issues created by these institutions. Neither I nor my firm represent educational institutions of any kind. We are firm on this issue, so please do not ask. My practice is limited to the states of Texas and Washington except for some mediations, negotiations and special education advocacy in other states. Unless we have a signed written representation and fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client. You may use the contact information on my Avvo page to reach me.