Have an EAD card expiring on Feb 2014. F1 to H1 Change of Status is approved. Can I travel to my home country before October.

Asked 12 months ago - Lexington, KY

I am currently in F1 OPT extension with my EAD card expiring on feb 2014. My employer processed a H1 Change of Status which is approved now. I will change to H1 status this october. My question is , am I allowed to travel outside US before october. What are are the restrictions I need to keep in mind, if any. Will I be re-entering as a student. Do I need to stamp

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can travel. If your F1 visa is expired, you will need to obtain a new F1 visa at the U.S. Embassy. You should bring evidence that you are in compliance with the conditions of your OPT.

    Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (... more
  2. Sergey Vladimirovich Makarov

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Only if you are able to get a visa. I would not advise to run a risk.

  3. Theodore John Murphy


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree

    The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,549 answers this week

2,744 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,549 answers this week

2,744 attorneys answering