Have an EAD card expiring on Feb 2014. F1 to H1 Change of Status is approved. Can I travel to my home country before October.

Lexington, KY |

I am currently in F1 OPT extension with my EAD card expiring on feb 2014. My employer processed a H1 Change of Status which is approved now. I will change to H1 status this october. My question is , am I allowed to travel outside US before october. What are are the restrictions I need to keep in mind, if any. Will I be re-entering as a student. Do I need to stamp

1. You can travel. If your F1 visa is expired, you will need to obtain a new F1 visa at the U.S. Embassy. You should bring evidence that you are in compliance with the conditions of your OPT.

Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (866) 456-­8654, wendy@myatorneyusa.com, www.myattorneyusa.com. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.

2. Only if you are able to get a visa. I would not advise to run a risk.

3. I agree

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.