Have a Statute of Limitations and indictment question.

Harlingen, TX |

I know an indictment will toll the Statute of Limitations for the crime indicted for.But does that indictment toll the sol for any unrelated crime also?

1. An indictment doesn't toll a statute of limitations, per se. If an indictment has been brought with the limitation period, then the statute doesn't need to be tolled because charges were brought. Statutes of limitation deal with the time within which charges can be brought. That time period can be tolled (extended) under certain circumstances. While you'd have to look at the statute you're worried about, if it is unrelated, it probably doesn't toll the Statute of Limitations.

2. I agree with the other attorney, I am not sure how indictment on one offense would effect unrelated offenses.

Mr. Smith's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Shawn H. Smith offers a free initial consultation to discuss your case. Feel free to call his office at 512-576-3380 or visit his website at www.shslawoffice.com for more information about his services.

3. One does not effect the other.

Of course, every answer is based on the question asked and requires a more complete context. This answer should not be relied upon to make a legal decision. Seek the advice of an experienced criminal defense attorney before acting. Law Offices of Raymond G. Wigell, Ltd. Defenders of the Constitution since 1975/ Aggressive Creative Defense Strategies/ Website: www.waaltd.com 24/7 call (708) 481-4800 text (708)218-0923

4. Check out the link below for more Congressional info!