Skip to main content

Have a homeowners policy & had damage. Ins co has retained an attorney & refuses to process our claim, what are our options?

Kearney, NE |

We had water damage due to a water heater leaking. It was a finished basement so structural and property damage. Things were moving forward, but we were told lies about our contractor not calling them, us not filing paperwork, and when we called them out on the lies and sent documentation proving they lied, they escalated to a law firm.

We have a COI with this law firm, but neither ins co, nor law firm cares and we can not get any answers. We want our policy honored. We have coverage to $215,000k had over $10,000 in structural and over $25,000 in property damage.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You may have to retain a lawyer and sue them to recover your damage.

    Most lawyers will give you a free consultation if you ask for one. We do this all the time, but remember that our time is valuable and you should stay with the people who help you the most.

  2. A review of your policy will need to be conducted. Sounds like they are trying to deny based upon improper notice. I would suggest contacting an attorney to discuss your options.

    The response to this inquiry does not establish an attorney client relationship.

  3. You should retain an attorney to assist you in fighting with the insurance company. If they continue to deny your claim you may have to file a lawsuit for a Declaratory Action or Bad Faith.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics