Have a charge off from Bank of America last date reported was September 2007 recently Bank of America updated the status

San Jose, CA |
Filed under: Credit score

July 2013 as a charge off they updated the status what does that mean and will the account till fall off next year when the original date of last reporting was back in 2007

1. Most negatives, except BK, will fall off after 7 years. However, if this is a recurring obligation, like a mortgage, each missed payment is a separate negative. If this is an installment note which is not yet due, you may continue to see negatives for a very long time.

SINCE 1974. My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

2. Your questions is somewhat complicated. The short answer is that updating the status date can affect how long the account will be reported on your credit report. This kind of action is called "re-aging" and it can adversely impact your credit score, and it is usually done in error and can be corrected by disputing it with the credit bureaus.
    However, in your case, you should consult with an attorney in your area regarding your potential financial liability for the underlying debt. If you owe it and you begin disputing it, this could trigger collection efforts against you.
    I hope this helps!

NOTE: This Answer does not constitute legal advice. Every case is fact specific. To render a legal opinion, an attorney must engage in a consultation with a prospective client and review any pertinent documents. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship with Attorney Rochelle N Belnap or Belnap & Forbes, PLLC.

3. talk to a local attorney familiar with the intricacy of the fair credit reporting act about the specifics of your situation. good luck.