Skip to main content

Have a bench warrant for reckless driving what do I do?

San Diego, CA |

So I applied for a job they told me I have a warrant for my Reckless driving charge from 2011. I never took the classes or anything. And now my License suspended and they are garnishing my wages. What can I do to clear this up, And I don't have $2500

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Best answer

    You can go get a lawyer right away, go into court and clear the warrant, then finish the class. Otherwise, go to court, speak with the public defender and get out of warrant status ASAP.

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

  2. First thing you should do is retain a local attorney to recall the warrant and help you get reassigned to the classes. Most here on AVVO will offer a free consultation and likely be able to assist you.

    San Diego Criminal Defense Attorney--19 years experience Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy

  3. It sounds like you have a probation violation for failure to comply with some of the conditions of probation. If this is your only legal issue then you shouldn’t be too scared and don’t’ avoid the problem anymore. Contact a criminal defense attorney in your area and he/she will put your matter on calendar so that the judge can recall the warrant and reinstate your probation. The attorney you hire can explain to you the court process and work out an affordable plan with the court so that you can pay off your court fines and take your classes. If you call a few attorneys in your area you should be able to find someone you can afford.

  4. Get a lawyer to clear your warrant.
    You then will set up payments.
    Get a local attorney who can go for you. The sooner the better. Friday is a good day to add on your case.

    This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply

  5. You can go to court and ask to put the case on calendar. Once on calendar, as the judge to appoint you a public defender.

  6. Go to court, seek to have the case added onto the calendar so the warrant can be recalled, and start doing what you should have done 3 years ago.

    Or hire a quality, locally experienced, criminal defense attorney to go to court for you.

  7. Speak with as lawyer in San Diego. Clear up the warrant. Get back on track. It sounds by the amount of fines and classes that you have a "wet" reckless conviction.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics