Has The Law Offices of Michael Ira Asen, located in NY, been known to sue when they can't collect civil restitution from people?

Gaithersburg, MD |
Filed under: Employee theft

I received a letter from this agency stating that they are attempting to act upon an agreement I signed stating that I would pay restitution (due to employee theft) to my previous employer (Limited Brands). During the LP interview, I was told to send payment directly to Limited Brands and now the firm is telling me to send payment to them. I just want to know what happens if I don't pay. Will they sue? If they do intend to sue, will they give me notice/ a final chance to pay?

I have settled cases with Asen's Office pre suit. Whether Asen's office will sue will most likely depend on the amount of $ at issue. What is the amount at issue?

This communication does not constitute legal advice and is provided for informational purposes only as I am not your attorney and you are not my client. Should you wish to obtain legal advice, you may contact my office at (212) 689-4343. This is attorney advertising.

Thanks for the quick response. The restitution amount is $204.50 and I just received a separate civil demand letter stating to pay $500. I'm unemployed as a result of this incident and I'm currently a sophomore in college. I have no way of paying this, If I ignore it, what happens?

Daniel Adam Hochheiser

Daniel Adam Hochheiser

I doubt Asen's Office will sue a college student with no assets for a $204.50 issue. You have a couple of choices either hire an attorney to negotiate a settlement for you or do nothing and if you are served with a lawsuit you can then hire an attorney to answer the lawsuit and negotiate a settlement. This could probably be settled for about $150. If you wish to consult with me you can call me at 212.689.4343

The first thing you need to do if and when you get sued is file an Answer. The summons will tell you that you must “appear” by way of an Answer in 10, 20 or 30 days, “depending on the method of service.”

You need a lawyer, but if you cannot afford one right away, rather then do nothing and have a judgment entered against you, is to “appear” by filing something!

Many people think this means they have to go to Court and this is incorrect. 90% of all lawsuits end in Default Judgments because the defendant (person getting sued) did not file an Answer.

I recommend you go to the free form I have on my website. Print it out and fill it out as instructed. You must answer the numbered paragraphs on the Complaint by writing them into the appropriate lines in the Answer. The Answer will allow you to preserve your rights and will prohibit a default judgment (i.e. you did not show up) from being entered against you.

Mimic the paperwork you got when you got sued. Answer all the paragraphs of the Complaint by writing the numbers in lines 1, 2 or 3.

Almost 100% of attorneys will deny what is owed because they did not do the calculations and do not know what the basis for the number is…

When you file the Answer that is your “not guilty”. You have the right to make the person suing you (Plaintiff) prove their case, but you must also answer the complaint truthfully.

Make sure you fill in the name and address of the attorney suing you before you bring this paperwork to the Court. Mail it to the attorney suing you right away!

Check out the guide I have drafted on the Avvo profile. This will provide more detailed instructions. If it is helpful remember to indicate that and get the guide read!

Good Luck!

REQUEST: Please give this answer a "thumbs up"(below) if you find it valuable.

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business