Has The Law Offices of Michael Ira Asen, located in NY, been known to sue when they can't collect civil restitution from people?

Asked over 3 years ago - Gaithersburg, MD

I received a letter from this agency stating that they are attempting to act upon an agreement I signed stating that I would pay restitution (due to employee theft) to my previous employer (Limited Brands). During the LP interview, I was told to send payment directly to Limited Brands and now the firm is telling me to send payment to them. I just want to know what happens if I don't pay. Will they sue? If they do intend to sue, will they give me notice/ a final chance to pay?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Answered . The first thing you need to do if and when you get sued is file an Answer. The summons will tell you that you must “appear” by way of an Answer in 10, 20 or 30 days, “depending on the method of service.”


    You need a lawyer, but if you cannot afford one right away, rather then do nothing and have a judgment entered against you, is to “appear” by filing something!

    Many people think this means they have to go to Court and this is incorrect. 90% of all lawsuits end in Default Judgments because the defendant (person getting sued) did not file an Answer.

    I recommend you go to the free form I have on my website. Print it out and fill it out as instructed. You must answer the numbered paragraphs on the Complaint by writing them into the appropriate lines in the Answer. The Answer will allow you to preserve your rights and will prohibit a default judgment (i.e. you did not show up) from being entered against you.

    Mimic the paperwork you got when you got sued. Answer all the paragraphs of the Complaint by writing the numbers in lines 1, 2 or 3.

    Almost 100% of attorneys will deny what is owed because they did not do the calculations and do not know what the basis for the number is…

    When you file the Answer that is your “not guilty”. You have the right to make the person suing you (Plaintiff) prove their case, but you must also answer the complaint truthfully.

    Make sure you fill in the name and address of the attorney suing you before you bring this paperwork to the Court. Mail it to the attorney suing you right away!

    Check out the guide I have drafted on the Avvo profile. This will provide more detailed instructions. If it is helpful remember to indicate that and get the guide read!

    Good Luck!

    REQUEST: Please give this answer a "thumbs up"(below) if you find it valuable.

    Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and... more
  2. Answered . I have settled cases with Asen's Office pre suit. Whether Asen's office will sue will most likely depend on the amount of $ at issue. What is the amount at issue?

    This communication does not constitute legal advice and is provided for informational purposes only as I am not... more

Related Topics

Small business employee theft

Employee theft involves any situation where an employee is accused of stealing goods or services from his or her employer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,896 answers this week

3,772 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,896 answers this week

3,772 attorneys answering