Has membership or privileges with any type of professional affiliation, organization, or healthcare system ever been limited?

I am a Family Nurse practitioner in Florida. I am applying for hospital privileges for the first time. I am asked the above question in the hospital/facility application. I entered the IPN program in 2005 and during that time I had some limitations on my practice (not license discipline) including narcotic restriction, not working overtime and not working in stressful environments. IPN records are confidential, sealed, and only obtainable by me. I successfully had restrictions lifted and successfully completed IPN program in early 2012. How should I answer this question? thank you

Fort Lauderdale, FL -

Ronald W. Chapman

Ronald W. Chapman

Health Care Lawyer - Sarasota, FL

From the context of the question I will assume you successfully completed an IPN contract during the relevant period. If so, the inherent difficulty with the question is this: IPN involvement is strictly confidential and is not required to be disclosed to any one for any reason. That said, the Nurse Practice Act requires you to truthfully and honestly answer all questions regarding employment applications, credentialing, etc. Therefore, you are faced with the dilemma of disclosing the restrictions or simply not answering the question. What you cannot do is falsely answer the question by stating, “no”! If you are looking for a favorable credentialing decision, I suggest you fully disclose the narcotic and other limitations within the IPN contract. I would also focus on your successful completion of the IPN contract and that no current restrictions exist. This adds a counter balance to the implied negativity of the restrictions and shows you have the personal stamina and integrity to address these issues and overcome them.

Christopher Edward Ezold

Christopher Edward Ezold

Health Care Lawyer - Bala Cynwyd, PA

I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My practice includes employment, business and health care law. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies.

That being said, it sounds as if you have had a practice limitation - at least with the narcotic limitation. I'm unclear whether the overtime/stress limitations are truly "practice limitations" or more general work limitations; I would need to know more to form a conclusion. You should disclose true practice limitations, and explain (a) why they existed, and (b) when/how you were able to have them lifted. Hiding your past always ends badly.

/Christopher E. Ezold/

The Ezold Law Firm, P.C.
Employment, Business and Health Law
One Belmont Avenue, Suite 501
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
(610) 660-5585
Cezold@Ezoldlaw.com
www.ezoldlaw.com