Has any attorney here ever heard of manipulation of court transcripts and biased editing of audio transcripts on civil trial?

Miami, FL |

I would just appreciate a yes or no answer. I have recently heard and read transcripts that were far away from what happened in trial. Biased to favor plaintiff. I have learned that there is a profession called " Court Scopist " and they edit the audio and sync the transcripts. Please, is that possible? I am positive that in this case the audio and transcripts were doctored. Even the depth of the voice on it is different as in a montage. Help!

1. I have never heard of an attorney doing that. I have had clients who claim that certain recordings have been manipulated and they very well may be. Perhaps because they are emotionally charged hearings you have what psychologists and psychiatrists refer to as false memory, it is a condition in which extreme emotional distress can cause one to believe the existence of things that happened that actually did not.

Im sorry this is happening, Im not saying it is NOT possible, but it is most likely not probable. But then again you never know. I wish I had a better answer for you but this is the best answer I can give you. If you find it HELPFUL or the eventual BEST answer please mark it as so.

Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and offers free consultations. The response provided in this forum is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon without further consultation with a legal professional after all relevant facts are disclosed and considered. DANIEL S. WILLIAMS, ESQ. LAW OFFICES OF DANIEL S. WILLIAMS 500 LIGHTHOUSE AVENUE, STE. A MONTEREY, CA 93940 (831) 233-3558 -- OFFICE (831) 233-3560 -- FAX

2. Everything is possible, but I've never heard of it, and why would a court reporter do this? Court reporters almost universally have no interest in the outcome of the litigation. A "scopist" is just an assistant to the court reporter, a person who helps the court reporter translate the code the reporter takes down into English.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

3. No.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.