Has any attorney here ever heard of manipulation of court transcripts and biased editing of audio transcripts on civil trial?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

I would just appreciate a yes or no answer. I have recently heard and read transcripts that were far away from what happened in trial. Biased to favor plaintiff. I have learned that there is a profession called " Court Scopist " and they edit the audio and sync the transcripts. Please, is that possible? I am positive that in this case the audio and transcripts were doctored. Even the depth of the voice on it is different as in a montage. Help!

1. Daniel Seth Williams

Pro

3

1

Answered . I have never heard of an attorney doing that. I have had clients who claim that certain recordings have been manipulated and they very well may be. Perhaps because they are emotionally charged hearings you have what psychologists and psychiatrists refer to as false memory, it is a condition in which extreme emotional distress can cause one to believe the existence of things that happened that actually did not.

Im sorry this is happening, Im not saying it is NOT possible, but it is most likely not probable. But then again you never know. I wish I had a better answer for you but this is the best answer I can give you. If you find it HELPFUL or the eventual BEST answer please mark it as so.

2. Brent Allan Rose

1

1

Answered . Everything is possible, but I've never heard of it, and why would a court reporter do this? Court reporters almost universally have no interest in the outcome of the litigation. A "scopist" is just an assistant to the court reporter, a person who helps the court reporter translate the code the reporter takes down into English.

3. Michael Charles Doland

Answered . No.