Has a potential employer violated my rights or discriminated against me?

Bellevue, WA |

It has recently come to my attention that there may or may not be some questions that are illegal and not allowed to be asked during an interview, well recently I went in for an interview with Old Country Buffet for the cook position and the interview was going well until the manager who was interviewing me asked me some "illegal" questions such as if I was married, had any children, and it my child and the mother of my child live with me. He then proceeded to tell me that the majority of workers who worked there are of many different race's and nationalities and followed that up with "African Americans get so angry and upset because they cannot understand the workers very well". His comment was rude, a stereo-type, and most of all offensive. Is there anything I can do?

I should mention that I am a african american which might clear up why it would be offensive to me. Also, would it be considered discrimination if I received the job offer?

You should file a charge of discrimination with the EEOC in Seattle. There should be a record that this person is asking such questions. It's wrong.
-Alex J. Higgins

Would it still classify as discrimination if they still offered me the job?

Recommended articles about Employment